With Christmas just around the corner, what better way to get into the holiday spirit than with some classic holiday movies? Not sure which movies to DVR or pick up from a Red Box? Here are our top 10 Christmas movies for college students.
10. The Santa Clause: Some gifts are given to us when we least expect them. Tim Allen knows that feeling when Santa Claus falls off of his roof and he is next in line for the job– whether he likes it or not. If you learn anything from this movie, just know your career path may take you where you least expect it.
9. It’s a Wonderful Life: A classic that all should see. Some people need a little extra help to realize how much they are appreciated by others. So, no matter how many times you bicker with your parents, just remember how much they miss you while you’re away at school.
8. A Charlie Brown Christmas: It’s a cute cartoon with a mature message, focusing on the commercialization of Christmas. Don’t let the Peanuts gang fool you– They have a lot to say about the holidays in this short film.
7. Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas”: It’s Tim Burton. Everyone loves Tim Burton, right? This animated film is bound to entertain anyone who watches it. Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King, is so excited by the idea of Christmas, that he must spread the word. I think you’ll be too. (Just please, don’t wrap any possessed toys)
6. Frosty the Snowman, 5. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer & 4. Dr. Seuss’ “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”: These tales are perfect for holiday break. It’s time to take a true break from the stressors of college life. Watch these movies and feel like a kid again.
3. Home Alone: Even after 8 year-old Kevin McCallister is left home alone for Christmas accidentally, he shows his maturity and defends his house against two burglars. This movie teaches you the art of home-defense, Christmas style. “Keep the change, you filthy animal…”
2. A Christmas Story: “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!” “Frah-gee-lay. It must be Italian.” The every college student should know the quotes from this movie. There will be a quiz on it. Seriously.
1. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation: Chevy Chase brings all the hilarity and family disfunctionality (I know, that’s not a word) the holidays have to offer. From a senile aunt to a train-wreck of a cousin, this movie has it all.