Having the opportunity to attend college is definitely something to be thankful for. So why not celebrate with a potluck feast within the comfort of your own dorm! All you need is a microwave, some friends, and a little creativity. Keep reading for some helpful hints and ideas.
Cooking a full turkey in the oven is not only difficult, but time-consuming and many dorms don’t have ovens. Instead, try picking up a pre-cooked chicken from a local super market. It’s cheaper, faster, and just as delicious.
- Believe it or not, you can make both stuffing and mashed potatoes right in the microwave! Boxed mashed potatoes and pre-made stuffing often come with microwave instructions on the back but if you’re feeling adventurous, try out this recipe from Food.com that uses real potatoes.
- Gravy and other sauces can also be warmed up right in your dorm-room microwave. Follow the instructions on the jar and then serve in bowls or Tupperware so they are easy to access.
- In my opinion, canned cranberry sauce has always tasted just as good as homemade so get out your can-opener and serve this Thanksgiving staple in a plastic dish or bowl (to avoid any mess).
- Supermarkets often have pre-made cornbread – especially around the holidays. Cut it into slices and serve with a side of butter.
- A jug of apple cider is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your Thanksgiving dinner. Have all your friends bring their own cups to drink out of!
Don’t have a means of transportation to the supermarket? Get creative! Enlist all your floor-mates and serve up all the food you have. It’s also a great way to clean out your fridge before break.
Share any other tips or ideas you have with us…we will definitely be THANKful!