Gah! Somewhere between the crazy cold weather, stress, and sleep deprivation my skin definitely took a turn for the worse. Having the same problem with blemishes, dry skin, or redness? We’re counting down the Top 10 tested and approved natural skin care tricks.
1. Avocado and Lemon Superfood Mask basically hits the reset button for your skin. This mask takes our blog on Foods for Your Face to the next level by using the vitamins in avocado to smooth and moisturize skin and return it’s healthful glow. Puree avocado flesh, stir in a tsp. of lemon juice, and apply to face for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
2. Use Freshly Brewed Green Tea as a toner. Not just a healthy beverage, green tea brewed and then cooled can reduce the size of pores and redness. Use a cotton ball and generously apply after washing your face. Let dry (don’t rinse!) and follow with a moisturizer.
3. Coffee Scrub for Clear Skin with milk. Mix 3 tablespoons used finely ground coffee with 3-4 oz. of milk until it makes a paste. Apply paste to face, avoiding eyes and lips, and leave on for 20 minutes. To remove, rinse face and gently massage mask off like an exfoliator. Pat dry and moisturize.
4. Greek Yogurt and Oatmeal for Dry and Irritated Skin sounds like breakfast, but it can also be a great mask for those dry winter skin days. Mix together a 1:1 concoction of regular Greek yogurt and plain oatmeal, and if your skin is extra dry you can add a few drops of honey. Using a clean foundation brush or your fingers, spread the paste over your face. Let sit for 25 minutes or until dry and rinse with lukewarm water.
5. Warm Milk for Soft, Radiant Skin has traditionally been a popular treatment. To pamper yourself like a Queen, apply it to your face or even add a few cups to your bath (maybe with some scented oils). To use on your face, warm a little milk in the microwave and apply with a cotton ball. Let sit for about 10 minutes and rinse with cold water to seal your pores!
6. Honey for Puffiness, Inflammation, and Cleansing. This is one of our favorite remedies because it is so simple and versatile! Take raw honey and apply a thin layer all over face and neck. Leave on for 5-10 minutes and gently rinse with warm water. Try this twice a day and you just may be in love with your skin. For extra moisture add a teaspoon of olive oil.
All About Eyes (as posted by Free
7. Crushed Grapes for fine lines and crow’s feet. Crush a bowl of grapes and use cotton balls to soak up the juice. Apply around eyes and let sit for 5 minutes before rinsing off. Try to do this 2-3 times a week.
8. Egg Whites for puffy eyes. Beat egg whites until stiff, use a clean brush to apply around the under-eye area, and rinse after 15 minutes.
9. Mint Leaves, due to the flavonoids they contain, are an antioxidant and great for
diminishing dark circles. Chop and crush a sprig and rub under eyes. Leave on for 20 minutes and rinse. Say goodbye to looking like a zombie (Halloween is over, after all).
And the #1 secret…
1o. Apple Cider Vinegar for…everything. We first heard of using this to make a tea with honey and lemon. Instead, we tried our own short-cut recipe using herbal tea. The short-cut uses 6 oz. hot lemon herbal tea, 2 teaspoons ACV and 1 teaspoon honey. Try drinking 2 cups a day and see how much your skin improves!
Written by Guest Blogger, Alycia Terry