Hosting a festive holiday gathering in the confines of a dorm room is no small feat. Fear not! We’ve got your snack (and decorations!) covered. We’re sticking with an oldie-but-goodie as the basis for our sweet recommendation: Rice Kripsies Treats.
Rice Krispies Mini Holiday Candy Cottage Recipe
(Find the original recipe on the Rice Krispies website).
Yes, this is as delicious as it is adorable. The best part? It’s easy to make! Grab your roommate and get to work on your own. Who needs gingerbread anyway?
What You’ll Need:
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 packages (10 oz. each, about 80 total) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows, divided
- 8 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
- 12 cups Kellogg’s® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
- 12 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
- Canned frosting or decorating gel
- Assorted candies
What You’ll Do:
1. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add one package of the marshmallows and stir until melted.
2. Increase heat to medium and stir about 2 more minutes or until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat.
3. Add six cups of Kellogg’s Cocoa Krispies cereal. Stir until coated.
4. Coat a 13x9x2-inch pan with cooking spray. Use a buttered spatula to evenly press mixture into pan. Let cool.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 using the remaining butter, marshmallows, and cereal. This time, press the mixture into a 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan. Let cool.
6. Begin to assemble the house. Place cereal mixture from the first pan (13 x 9 x 2) onto a foil-lined tray. This will be the base.
7. Cut the remaining cereal mixture into four 5×3.5-inch rectangles (sides + ends of the house). Cut two 8×3-inch rectangles for the roof.
8. Lay one 5×3.5-inch rectangle vertically and cut the top corners at an angle to form the peak of the house. Repeat with second 5×3.5-inch to form the back of the house. The side walls, laying horizontally, should match bottom of angle cut in height.
9. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the six pieces one-inch apart on the sheet. Bake at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. If necessary, use a knife to reshape the pieces. Let cool.
10. Stand the house near center of your base. Attach house sides to house back + front using frosting (be generous!). Pipe frosting to attach the roof.
11. Decorate your house using additional frosting and the candies you chose! Voila!
Find more recipes on the Rice Krispies website! Which one are you going to try out?