All my friends have been asking me if I have ever had Stuffed French Toast. Every time I tell them I haven’t, they go on (and on…and on) for 30 minutes about how I have to try it someday. This past weekend, I took the plunge – I got stuffed French toast with chocolate and strawberries and it was the best breakfast I have ever had.
Walking out of the restaurant, I couldn’t help but wonder, “how many calories did I just eat?” Well, I found a healthy solution on the Food Network, which is just as delicious! This recipe is only 270 calories and only takes 23 minutes to make! The combination of rich chocolate and sweet strawberries is nothing short of delectable!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 slices of whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 (8-ounce) container strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons bittersweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
2. Place 1 tablespoon of ricotta in the center of 4 of the pieces of bread and spread around slightly. Top with about 6 slices of strawberries and a teaspoon of chocolate chips. Cover each with another piece of bread to make a “sandwich”.
3. Spray a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat. Carefully dip each of the “sandwiches” into the egg mixture until completely moistened. Then place on the skillet and cook over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until the outside is golden brown and the center is warm and chocolate is melted.
4. Transfer to serving places. Top with remaining strawberries and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Need more help? Check out the video!
Please let us know how your Delicious Chocolate and Strawberry Stuffed French Toast came out!
Written by Guest Blogger, Myles Marcus