When it comes to a healthy lifestyle, most women obsess over numbers on a scale, calories on a package, and nutrients measured in grams.
Newsflash: numbers don’t define a healthy lifestyle. There’s no denying that aspiring to a place on a scale makes reaching our goals that much more tangible; yet, in focusing just on our weight, it’s easy to overlook the other factors that make for a healthy lifestyle, like fitness and eating well. Read on and take the LUNA® Challenge.
Here’s a challenge for you– Forget about the numbers, the scale, the weight, and focus on the things that make your body and mind feel alive. Maybe it’s a dose of fresh air, a serving of whole grains, good company, biting into a tree-ripened plum, or running a personal record.
Eating well and being well go hand in hand: put the right nutrients in your body and you’ll be able to reach that euphoric-type-place while you exercise. So often we let ourselves get overwhelmed with numbers like weight, calories, and grams of nutrients. We need to let it go!
Give those numbers a backseat and bring eating with variety, moderation, proportion, and intention to the forefront of your mind. Have confidence that the nutrients will follow and the healthy weight will come almost as an afterthought.
Here are a few nutrition pointers that’ll help you realize healthy lifestyle today:
Eat a variety
- Increase the color quotient on your plate; make it colorful
- Be adventurous and try new foods
- Eat foods of various textures and tastes; eat foods raw and cooked
- Make no food forbidden
- If it’s higher in fat or calories eat less of it, less often
- Choose plant-based fats like avocado, unsalted nuts, olive oil, or ground flaxseed
- Find the combination of whole grains, lean meats & beans, fruits, dairy, and vegetables that’s just right for you
- Work with a registered dietitian to assist you in meeting your goals (Check out www.eatright.org to find a dietitian in your area)
Eat with intention
- Pay attention to ambiance and savor each bite
- Don’t skip meals
- Plan for healthy snacking
- Keep healthy snacks on hand to hold you over between meals (for example: a string cheese, a handful of trail mix, slices of fruit with almond butter, a LUNA® Protein or a LUNA® Mini)
All in all, allow yourself to exercise because it feels good, eat right because you enjoy it and indulge every once in a while. Most importantly, respect yourself and celebrate you! Find your balance, enjoy the exercise of your choice, nourish your body…
~ Guest Blogger Tara DelloIacono Thies, LUNA’s in-house R.D.