The school year is in full swing and it’s the beginning of my last year at the University of Delaware. Upon approaching my senior year, I began to think about the last few years of my college life and what I wish I knew going into this experience and what I’ve learned. So here’s my list – let it be your ally, your lifeline, and your best friend. And if it inspires you to create a list of your own share it with us! We love to learn!
1. LAUGH every day. The more you laugh the happier you’ll be. Laugh at yourself, laugh at a book, a TV show, whatever works for you. But take that time to take a break from the stress and just laugh.
2. In 10 years it won’t matter. In 10 years the fight you had with your roommate, the one bad grade you got, or the boy or girl who broke you’re heart won’t matter, so when it feels like it’s the end of the world, remember that you still have your whole life ahead of you and it will get better.
3. Prepare! Prepare! Prepare! Don’t wait until the last minute. You’re going to have to do what you’re procrastinating eventually and you might as well just get it over with so you aren’t stressed.
4. Join an Organization! Maybe it’s Greek life, or maybe it’s a club or organization you’re passionate about! Joining an organization helps you connect with your school and build long lasting relationships!
5. Intern anywhere and everywhere! Interning is a way for you to find out what you love and what you want to do in the future. You get experiences you’d never be able to get anywhere else, and you’ll gain real experience that will be valuable when you leave college.
6. Tell your friends how much you love and appreciate them! Compliments are contagious, and you’ll be surprised how much love and support come back to you when you take the time to show you care!
7. Do something that scares you at least once a semester! Participate in that contest that challenges you, study abroad, experience something new – just push yourself further all the time. You learn the most about yourself when you leave your comfort zone.
8. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes! Mistakes are unavoidable and if you don’t fear them then you can correct them, learn from them, and move forward.
9. Utilize your campuses resources! Use the free tutoring, the library, the career service center, everything that will help you to better yourself in the end. Never again will you have so many free resources at your disposable.
10. Forgive. Forgive yourself, forgive your roommate, forgive all those who have wronged you. Negative emotions are a waste of time and effort. In the end, you only hurt yourself by holding grudges.
11. Decorate your room every year! Start each new year with a fresh new style to get you motivated and excited for the year!
12. Show School Spirit! Now is the time to paint your face, wear your school colors in your hair, and look completely ridiculous to pledge your undying love to your school teams. So have fun with it and go big!
~Alyssa B., the wise one at University of Delaware