If you’re like me, you know that the wintertime always starts out fun. There are new sweaters to wear, flavored hot chocolates to drink, and warm fireplaces to snuggle up by. But as the season drags on, the excitement begins to wear off. The cold settles in, it gets dark sooner, and even your skin and hair can get temperamental. The mild weather of spring and sunny heat of summer seem like far off dreams. In an ideal world, I would suggest that we all hop a plane together and hide out in the Bahamas until the last bits of ice begin to thaw but, unfortunately, that is just not a realistic proposition. However, there are easier (and less expensive) ways to beat the winter blues, wherever you are – so keep reading! By the end of this post, you’ll be ready to take on the wind and snow (or at least get out from under the covers) with our fun activities and insight!
– Get some sun (with sunscreen, of course) – The Vitamin D and natural light are proven to boost your mood. Open up those shades, people! If you’re dealing with a particularly gloomy span of time, consider investing in Light Therapy, Full Spectrum light bulbs. Their effects are similar to real sunlight.
– Work out. – Remember the part in the movie Legally Blonde, when Reese Witherspoon gleefully asserts that “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy!”? Believe it or not, the blonde was on to something. Even if it’s for only 20 minutes, try to squeeze in a quick walk or work out to pump yourself up.
– Hang out with friends. What better way to offset your melancholy mood than by socializing with friends? Whether you stay in and watch a movie or go out and do something, the face to face interaction will keep you feeling good. Plan a fun activity and you’ll forget that it’s even winter!
– Invest in fresh flowers. We found this great idea on TheFrisky.com and absolutely loved it. They point out how the bright-colors are an instant mood boost – and we agree! Plus, your flowers will add instant flare to your dorm. Take a look at their other great suggestions here.
If these tips just aren’t enough to get you out of the seasonal slump, here are some other quick fixes:
1) Listen to peppy and upbeat music. Don’t fight the urge to dance!
2) Drink hot tea (January IS Hot Tea month after all).
3) Learn to knit.
4) Read a good book (or two).
5) Play a board game.
6) Take up yoga.
7) Get a massage.
8 ) Take a hot shower.
9) Invest in a good moisturizer.
10) Embrace the weather – snowball fight, anyone?
We’re sure that you have your own ways of dealing with the Winter Blues – and we’d love to hear them! Post a comment below and let us know what works for you.