Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be tricky. You want food that tastes good, without the high-fat or sodium content. When we came across this fiesta-inspired recipe on Eat Yourself Skinny, a blog devoted to providing healthy AND delicious meal and beverage options, we couldn’t help but share.
What You’ll Need:
8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
One 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) can 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained well
1/2-cup salsa, fresh salsa is best
1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar or Mexican cheese
1 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
*Feel free to use enchilada sauce, additional salsa or fat-free sour cream for dipping
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid.
- Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling, set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick
- Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable.
- Take one tortilla (keep the rest between the paper towels), spray both sides lightly with non-stick spray, and lay it flat on a clean dry surface.
- Spoon about 2 heaping spoonfuls of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube.
- Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until crispy. Allow Taquitos to cool for 5 minutes.
This might be a bit more of a culinary challenge than our usual recipes, but it’s healthier than buying a box of premade food at the grocery store. Invite your friends over (or go to their kitchens to cook) and make a night of it!
What are some of your favorite “skinny” recipes? Comment below and tell us!
Written by Guest Blogger, Maria Cafferata