Five Things You Don’t Know About Me with Frank WarrenFrank Warren is the founder of PostSecret. It is a community art project in which people anonymously send in their secrets on homemade postcards, some of which will be featured on the PostSecret website. Warren has also put together several PostSecret books and speaks at events across the country.
Frank Warren is arguably the biggest keeper-of-secrets in the world. As the founder of PostSecret, he holds thousands of deep, dark secrets scrawled across homemade postcards. Who better to share some of his own secrets…
1. When my mother discovered that I was asking strangers to mail me their deepest secrets on postcards, she called the idea, “diabolical”. It wasn’t until she watched me talking about the PostSecret books on Today and saw that Meredith Vieira appreciated the funny and heart-breaking secrets that she began to accept it.
2. I have one of my secrets in each of the six PostSecret books. The second book, My Secret was a book I created based upon how I felt in high school and college. I selected postcards that would have helped me during those times when I felt isolated and without direction. My Secret is the book I wish I could have handed to my younger self so I wouldn’t have felt so alone with my secrets. This is the postcard I made for that book:
3. In my previous life, before PostSecret, I was never that person who people would tell their secrets to, so for me it feels like such a privilege to have received a ton of secrets on postcards from around the world.
4. Some of the secrets I receive are about personal struggles with mental illness. When we believe we are carrying a secret by ourselves, it can feel like a great burden… but I know that is only an illusion. No one is alone with their secret and if we can find the right ways to release them [our secrets], they go from being walls to bridges.
During the ten years of the project, the PostSecret community has raised over $1,000,000 for suicide prevention and I have worked closely with two non-profits that offer young people hope and leadership in moving our national conversation about mental wellness forward: Active Minds and IMAlive. Find more info about each of these great organizations here:
5. My email is secret, but sometimes people find it and send me messages. This message might have been my favorite:Dear Frank, I have made six postcards all with secrets that I was afraid to tell the one person I tell everything to, my boyfriend. This morning I planned to mail them to you, but instead I left them on the pillow next to his head while he was sleeping. Ten minutes ago he arrived at my office and asked me to marry him. I said yes.
Be sure to get YOUR copy of Frank’s newest book, The World of PostSecret. Find more postcard and app secrets than ever before PLUS get the inside scoop regarding some of the most controversial and compelling secrets to come through. Order your copy here.
And don’t forget to check out all of the secrets that come through on PostSecret.com.