If you could have an app that put the tedious, manual tasks of your life on auto-pilot, would you take advantage of it?
Then, your dreams are about to come true, people! The If This Then That app makes custom connections between your apps – simplifying your days by ten-fold. Remember that silly Boolean Logic we learned about in Algebra? It’s actually coming in handy (VERY handy) in the programming behind the IFTTT app. How does it work, you ask? Let’s go through the steps.
- CHOOSE YOUR TRIGGER CHANNEL (ex: Facebook)
- CHOOSE YOUR TRIGGER (ex: You are tagged in a photo)
- COMPLETE TRIGGER FIELDS (ex: Create Trigger)
- CHOOSE ACTION CHANNEL (ex: iOS Photos)
- CHOOSE AN ACTION (ex: Add photo to album)
- COMPLETE ACTION FIELDS (ex: Photo URL, Album Name)
- CREATE AND ACTIVATE (ex: Recipe Title)
With the recipe I just created, I will now have every Facebook photo tagged of me added into an album on my phone. If that’s not your cup of tea, take a look at some of these great examples of how to use the IFTTT app:
- IF it’s supposed to rain tomorrow THEN send me a notification.
- IF I’m in class THEN mute my phone notifications.
- IF I post an Instagram photo THEN upload it to Twitter as a native image.
- IF I update my Facebook profile picture THEN update my Twitter profile picture too.
- IF I enter my dorm THEN turn on WiFi.
- IF I tweet THEN save a copy in a Google Spreadsheet.
- IF someone tweets #bncollege THEN send me an SMS text message.
IFTTT is adding more apps every day, for both iOS and Android devices. What kind of recipes have you come up with? Which are your favorites? Let us know in the comments or tweet us @bncollege!