We’ve all been there .
You’re dressed and ready to leave the house for your big job interview. You’ve practiced answering some questions, you’ve researched the company, and you’ve meticulously put an outfit together (hello, business professional!). You’re about to hop in the car and rocket off to success when….your dad stops you to impart just a liiiiiiitle more wisdom for acing it the interview. Sure, it’s the same old stuff you’ve heard a million times before. For some reason, however, when it comes from Dad it means just a little bit more.
So, in honor of Father’s Day, we’re sharing our favorite ‘Dad advice’ (or DADvice if you’re feeling fancy) for your next job interview!
Barnes & Noble College Presents: Top Ten Pieces of “Dadvice” for your Next Interview
1. Bring several extra copies of your resume.
2. Don’t just ramble on nonsensically to fill those awkward silences and pauses. Only talk when you have something meaningful to say!
3. They already want you, that’s why you are there – because they like your resume and credentials. They want to interview you before they hire you so they can see how you carry yourself, that you’re personable, and that you fit in with the company culture.
4. Remember to SMILE!
5. Maintain good eye contact, and be friendly…but not too much, you don’t want to freak them out!
6. Speak with confidence – you know this stuff!
7. Keep your chin up, don’t be a slouch.
8. Always have a pen and paper/notebook with you and easy to get to.
9. Have a firm – but not bone-breaking – handshake. No limp dead-fish handshakes here!
10. Always, always, always make sure you have a question ready at the end of the interview!
You’ve heard it all before, but Dad’s just looking out – he only wants the best for you! So give that guy a hug, thank him for all the advice, and get out there and ace your next interview. No matter how you do, you know that Dad’s got your back.
What’s the best or worst job interview advice your Dad’s given you!? Share it with us @BNCollege or post a comment below!