A college budget can be tough to manage but, if you’re anything like me, you still want to show a friend you care by giving them something special on their birthday or special occasion. Over the years, I have mastered the art of thoughtful – yet inexpensive – gift giving to both my girl and guy friends and wanted to share a few of my favorite ideas with you! These would make perfect gifts for high school grads!
- Dogeared Necklaces are my go-to for any and every occasion. Each necklace has a different meaning, so pick the one that best represents your friend to make the gift feel extra personal and thoughtful (even if it only took a few minutes to choose…shhh!).
- A trendy pair of sunglasses can always come in handy and are a good way to show your friend that you know their style. **Hint: Aviators look good on almost anyone!
- A cute clutch or cross body bag can fall within any price range, but if you choose one within your budget it can still be a good quality, useful, and adorable gift. Your friend will be very thankful when she comes home for the night with all of her items intact!
- A new shade of lipstick could be an adventurous and inexpensive way to encourage your friend to take a risk with a bold new color. Tip: MAC’s lipsticks are of amazing quality and about $17-$20 per tube.
- A bottle or two of bright colored nail polish could serve as both a gift and a cute activity for you and your friend to do on a girls night in night in!
- One of my favorite gifts to give is a candle. It might seem boring, but on a rainy day there is nothing better than cuddling up under the blankets with the smell of a candle filling the room. Even better if the gift is for your roommate (because you get to enjoy it too)!
- A school hoodie is always a safe bet, especially if you’re at a cold weather school.
- A pair of tickets to a sporting event is a good gift and also a good way to spend time with your friend. Some events can be pricey, so try to buy them early before prices go up!
- Sunglasses aren’t just for girls. Every guy can use a good pair too (as long as they don’t break them). Opt for a sportier style for the guys, although aviators look good on them too.
- A new baseball cap if you’re in warm weather, or a beanie for the cold can be a useful and inexpensive gift that most guys will use daily. Tip: order it online and you won’t even have to leave your dorm!
- My favorite gift to put together for a guy friend is a gift bag filled with their favorite foods and gift cards to their favorite restaurants. This one always works for my hungry teenage brother.
- A cool t-shirt from his favorite band, school, sports team or something you just think would look nice is an easy, last minute idea that nobody can complain about. Boys don’t tend to do too much shopping on their own so I’m sure he’ll appreciate the new addition to his wardrobe.
Written by Guest Blogger, Gabriella G. of the University of Miami