Message boards work perfectly for displaying photos, to-do lists, and calender’s in your dorm room. Guess what? They’re also super simple to make! We put together an easy DIY message board tutorial, so you can add your own personal touch to your room. Check it out!
- Cork board sheet
- X-Acto knife or scissors
- Spray Paint
- Mod Podge
1. Cut your cork board into your preferred shapes. We chose to do four squares, but an arrangement of circles looks awesome as well!
2. Spray paint half of your cork board shapes with the color of your choice. Allow to dry.
3. Take the other half of your cork board cut outs, and spread a thin layer of Mod Podge across entire surface of one side.
4. Lay your choice of fabric across the Mod Podge covered side of the cork boards.
Tip: Paint the cork board white before applying the fabric if you’re using a lighter colored material. This will help the fabric pop.
5. Smooth the fabric onto the cork board using a piece of cardboard so that the Mod Podge doesn’t seep through onto your hands. Allow to dry.
6. Once the fabric is completely dried onto the cork board, flip it over and trim the excess material with an X-Acto knife or scissors.
Tip: After cutting the excess fabric, reinforce the edges with some more Mod Podge so that the strings of the fabric don’t pull.
When all of your cork boards are completely dry, arrange them gallery-style onto your wall. Your message board is now ready for use!
We want to see your message board creations! Upload a pic of your DIY onto Instagram and make sure to tag us – @BNcollege.